DHCPv6 / omshell / OMAPI ?

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Fri Aug 18 17:37:06 UTC 2017

> We've been using ISC DHCP/DNS for many years, those are best reliable softwares supporting our on mission critical systems. We really feel grateful for all the good work ISC has bee doing for providing such quality fundamental piece of software to the Internet community, also hosting the F-root!

Thank you for that.

> But I really think ISC should think about not only rely on donation and support contractor to keep the lights on, should start to place license on enterprise level of use, and on those like Infoblox and F5 which makes big $$ using your software.

You can see from the blog post and chart here https://www.isc.org/blogs/who-pays-for-iscs-open-source/ <https://www.isc.org/blogs/who-pays-for-iscs-open-source/> that OEM users contribute approximately 15 - 18% of our revenues already.  This is obviously a very small percentage of their revenues, but we can’t compel them to give us more.

ISC DHCP is open source and has always been free.  For many years we have had a very permissive license, the ISC license, and this is undoubtedly a significant reason why so many commercial products used it.  We are changing the sw license to MPL 2.0 with ISC DHCP 4.4.0 to encourage more commercial users to contribute, but that is the extent of our leverage.  (https://www.isc.org/blogs/isc-dhcp-moves-to-mpl-2-0-license/ <https://www.isc.org/blogs/isc-dhcp-moves-to-mpl-2-0-license/>) The people who have the most influence with the OEM vendors are the purchasers of those commercial products, not ISC.

> I know it wouldn't be problem for our organization to pay license for DNS/DHCP, but we always 'forgot' to donate.

Unfortunately, this is common. I am sure we got less than $1000 in user donations for ISC DHCP in all of 2016.  We have one full time senior software engineer on ISC DHCP, and several who work on ISC DHCP part-time.  ISC DHCP is old software, and difficult to extend or modify. As Thomas has already explained, we are doing the best we can with the resources we have.

It is very hard to raise the money we do raise every year to support open source - we have had to reduce our staff twice recently and today we are are less than half the size we were in 2014.  If anyone on the list has any good ideas about how we can fund open source, we are certainly open to trying them.

Regards,

Vicky Risk, Product Manager
https://www.isc.org/donate/ <https://www.isc.org/donate/>