multiple IPs to single machine

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 16:37:14 UTC 2006

dhcp-admin at syniverse.com wrote:

>I have several machines, some Win2K and some WinXP that are
>requesting multiple IPs.  Checking the dhcpd.leases file, they get
>one that looks normal, and then at least two others with a uid like
>this:
>uid "\001RAS \000\006[\036Z\344\000\000\001\000\000\000";
>All the extra IPs have a uid starting with "001RAS..."  It is
>related to incoming connections defined in the "network and dialup"
>area.

Gosh, this one hasn't come up for a while !

It's the Remote Access Service which asks for a pile of addresses
'just in case' another machine should call up. Either disable the RAS
service on the clients, or try this :

if (substring (option dhcp-client-identifier, 1, 3) = "RAS") {
         ignore booting;
}

If you'd mentioned this in the first place you could have had the
answer sooner.

Simon