Question about authoritative server and AA Authoritative Answer

pub.diemer29 at laposte.net pub.diemer29 at laposte.net
Wed Jan 17 12:59:03 UTC 2024

‌

Dear Greg,
Dear Mark,

Once more thank you for your replies. Please see highlighted words below.

I confirm that 172.16.0.254 is the dns authoritative server.

 'pc1' means 'a generic computer on a local area network'. It could be a web server, a file server, a mail server. For a small structure with fixed ip addresses only, it could be a user's pc. On pc1 there is a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04 with only a few network settings (dhcp, dns, gateway). I created it only to test various network settings (dynamic dns, fixed ip address, dhcp provided ip address, ...).

For this specific question about authoritative server, pc1 has a fixed ip address. Ubuntu's networkd-resolved local dns caching and stub is disabled, (Cache=no, DNSStubListener=no). For this specific question, I have only two computers, one authoritative non-recursive dns server and a generic computer named pc1.

Please have a look at the highlighted text below to understand my question :

Command dig pc1.reseau1.lan ns

;; Got answer:

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

AUTHORITY: 1 : this is ok.

Command dig pc1.reseau1.lan

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1