Question about authoritative server and AA Authoritative Answer

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:27:35 UTC 2024

Hi again and thanks for that.
I'm still not exactly clear on the setup. I think the auth server is
172.16.0.254 (I don't know what pc1 is).
But anyway, looking at your results I see the AA bit for everything. It
appears that these queries both went directly to the auth server because
recursion is disabled and it told you so.

======

# pc1 at pc1:~
dig pc1.reseau1.lan
```

```txt
; <<>> DiG 9.18.18-0ubuntu0.22.04.1-Ubuntu <<>> pc1.reseau1.lan
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

# ns1 at ns1:~
dig pc1.reseau1.lan
```

```txt
; <<>> DiG 9.18.18-0ubuntu0.22.04.1-Ubuntu <<>> pc1.reseau1.lan
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

======

So unless I'm missing something I don't see your problem.
Cheers, Greg