Finding dnssec validation failures in the logs

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Jan 24 00:44:46 UTC 2023

On a resolver running ISC BIND 9.16.36 with "dnssec-validation auto;" I
am writing "category dnssec" to a log file  at "severity info;"  When I
look in the resulting log file, I'm guessing that lines like this:

validating com/SOA: got insecure response; parent indicates it should be
secure

Are an indication I have a problem I should investigate.

My question is: Are there other strings I should be reacting to in that log?

I interpret the many lines like this:

validating wunderkind.co/SOA: no valid signature found

to mean "We looked for signing information for wunderkind.co and found
none. That's cool, we didn't expect them to be."

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska