signing for a hidden primary

Eric K Germann ekgermann at semperen.com
Sun Jan 22 15:54:49 UTC 2023

I use an unsigned hidden master I maintain from inside my local network.
  This feeds a secondary server where the signing is done and it acts as
a master to other secondaries.  Works well.  Started as an experiment
and works well enough I've left it alone.

   Hidden master >> DNSSEC signing server (slave to hidden, master to
secondariers) >> secondaries

Here's a config block

zone example.com {
         type slave;
         masters                 { a.b.c.d key master-dns01; };
         file                         "slave/example.com.db";
         key-directory           "keys/example.com";
         dnssec-policy           domain-policy;
         inline-signing          yes;
         zone-statistics         yes;
};

If you're interested in  more specifics, I'm happy to share.  Ping me
off-list

Eric

On 2023-01-21 19:56, Randy Bush wrote:

> hi mark
>
> hidden primary can not sign.  can the public primary which fetches
> from it, and happens to be primary for the parent zone, do bitw
> signing?
> In-line signing is the concept you are looking for and yes named
> supports it.

i know bind9 does bitw.  happy to learn it is called inline-signing.

sorry not to have been clear.  i want to sign a zone where the server is
secondary.  i.e. may i use

   zone "foo.bar" {
     type slave;
     file "secondary/bar.foo";  // yes, i like dir list to alpha sort
     auto-dnssec maintain;
     inline-signing yes;
     }

looking at example 2 in https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00626, i think that
this will work, i.e. there will be a `secondary/bar.foo.signed` from
which i can extract the DS needed by the parent zone, the server will
send notifies etc.

randy