automatic reverse and forwarding zones

Paul Ebersman list-bind-users at dragon.net
Fri Oct 28 03:42:25 UTC 2022

grant> I'd be interested in learning what other things /require/ or are
grant> at least predicated on having PTR records for IPs.

Been a few years since I last delved but was appalled at some of the
pointless uses of rev-ptrs. NYT used to require it to let you connect to
their website, as one such totally pointless use.

Reality is that the only way to find out is see if users scream or do
PTRs for all your addrs. For v6, on the fly generation is less broken
than trying to depend on DHCPv6 server dynamic DNS updates (doesn't help
for SLAAC). Someone has already mentioned that knot supports this.

On the plus side, most idiots checking for rev-ptr only care if they get
an answer. Unlike SMTP, where MTAs might check if forward and reverse
match, as long as they get an answer, they go away fat, dumb and happy.