automatic reverse and forwarding zones

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Oct 27 23:17:32 UTC 2022

On 10/27/22 4:18 PM, Andrew Latham wrote:
> IRC for example will check for PTR and gate login. I know there are
> others but that came to mind quickly. In some regions having PTRs was a
> requirement. It has been years but I recall LACNIC required/desired PTRs
> be set.

I wasn't aware of IRC's requirement for PTRs.  I'll have to ask some
others for background.

I'd be interested in learning what other things /require/ or are at
least predicated on having PTR records for IPs.

I absolutely agree that having PTR records, especially records that are
of some value, are a worth while thing to have.

That being said, I think expecting DNS servers to have fully populated
ip6.arpa zones is a non-starter.  I don't even thing it makes it as far
as untenable as I think a fully populated zone will cause most things to
simply fall over flat on their face.

Perhaps this will end up being one of those unplanned differences
between IPv4 and IPv6.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die