automatic reverse and forwarding zones

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Oct 28 04:13:57 UTC 2022

I tried back in 2013 to get the IETF to standardise delegating the reverse
tree when prefix delegations happen.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-andrews-dnsop-pd-reverse-02.txt

named already supports updating PTR records based on the IP address of the
TCP connection making the UPDATE request.  SLACC hosts can update their own
PTR records if you configure the nameserver to allow it.  See update-policy
tcp-self.

Mark