Only one DS key comes back in query

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed May 18 14:33:14 UTC 2022

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM frank picabia <fpicabia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using open source for decades.  Long enough that I rarely need
> to use lists for help.
>
> Here's the RFC mentioning reserved domain name use:
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.html

Those reservations are for testing and documentation examples.  They're not
particularly useful when requesting help for specific problems, unless
you're doing something like a search/replace on detailed query output in
order to redact it.  Even if you do that you have to be very careful not to
change things the wrong way, or it further confuses the issue.  You're much
better off just sharing the domain name you're concerned with.

If you're asking for help about a real configuration, you're going to get
limited effort back from the community if you don't provide them with
enough information to help you.  Since you're not providing DNS queries
(even redacted ones) that show the problem, that means they can't see
enough information to actually answer your questions.  Also hiding the
domain name in question means they can't check for themselves what the
contents of your zone or your parent zone are, and so they are left with
insufficient information to provide you help.  It makes matters worse that
you are using phrases that subtly suggest you may be making incorrect
assumptions, which leads people to really want to check what the real data
is.

And people are absolutely right to tell you that if you're working for such
a large, public company that they would be embarrassed by you asking for
help publicly, then they should pay for support so that they can get that
help privately.