Only one DS key comes back in query

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed May 18 17:16:30 UTC 2022

I suspect that you failed to copy the complete second record or that the registrar failed to handle the optional white space in the last field.  Without you posting the contents of the dsset file and what you passed to the registrar there is no way to know.  There is also no way to know if it was miscomputed unless  we have a copy of the DNSKEY it was generated from.

example.com. IN DS 28387 5 1 47145FCABDFC00DD9CDE1369FA6A456F0D196C11
example.com. IN DS 28387 5 2 AC92037CEB08E7AF3539D140BC3855FA32AB0055973ABC7A4FB4A49C 385E7C29

The second record could be written like below and it would still be correct.

example.com. IN DS 28387 5 2 A C 9 2 0 3 7 C E B 0 8 E 7 A F 3 5 3 9 D 1 4 0 B C 3 8 5 5 F A 3 2 A B 0 0 5 5 9 7 3 A B C 7 A 4 F B 4 A 4 9 C 3 8 5 E 7 C 2 9

As for how many records there are in the dsset file that has changed over time.  It started out as just type 1 (SHA1), then type 1 (SHA1) and type 2 (SHA256), and more recently just type 2 (SHA256) as the DNSSEC standards evolve based on changes in cryptographic best practice.  DNSSEC is approximately 20 years old now and computing capabilities have changed a lot over that period.

I know computers are not infallible but dnssec-signzone has been generating dsset files for almost all of those 20 years now.  We would be getting thousands of reports of errors if it was mis-generating DS records.  Named itself needs to generate 10’s of thousands of DS records a second to perform DNSSEC validations on a busy validator and dnssec-signzone uses the same code to generate the DS records it prints out.

Using ‘example’ is fine until something goes wrong or it is believed to have gone wrong.  At that point you need the actual real names.  You don’t go to your mechanic with a different car when you have a problem with your car.  Using ‘example’ is like doing that.

Mark