Only one DS key comes back in query

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Tue May 17 20:21:29 UTC 2022

Hi Frank,

The use of example.com and the like on this list is provocative specifically because people are frustrated that they then cannot help you. It is something of a special situation that since you are not a regular participant here, you were unaware of.

The people on this list will often go to great lengths to help people who post problems here, by diagnosing the domain that is having an issue. The way that is done is by querying the domain, perhaps closely related domains (parents, children, etc), looking at signatures, other fields in the response, etc. This very often leads quickly to an answer that helps the poster. This kind of active help in troubleshooting your DNS issue cannot be done if you obscure the domain name, and that can be frustrating for people on the list who then cannot help you.

- If you are debugging an active issue with an externally published domain, providing the full domain name allows others to query it in order to help you. Omitting, changing, or obscuring the domain can make it harder or impossible for others to help you.

Regards,

Vicky Risk