Using non-standard domain names in DNS

Sandro lists at penguinpee.nl
Sun Jun 26 23:30:50 UTC 2022

On 26-06-2022 23:19, Mark Andrews wrote:
> The names of name servers need to follow the rules for hostnames.
> i.e. the labels are made up of letters, digits and hyphens (LDH).
> That means the name servers can’t live in the zone. There should be
> no A or AAAA records in the zone.
>
> Similarly there can’t be MX records as they also are restricted to
> LDH.

Thank you for clarifying. That helped me understand where I went wrong.

> Let’s Encrypt isn’t asking for exceptions to the rules. Your
> assumptions in your question are wrong. Check-names just stops people
> breaking the rules accidentally.  If you saw instructions to set
> ‘check-names no;’ please go back and correct the instructions to say
> to use a valid hostnames for the name servers.

I didn't mean to imply that Let's Encrypt is asking for exceptions.

And check-names did indeed prevent me from doing something stupid. I
found my mistake after re-reading the output I got from named-checkconf
and corrected it. It works now without check-names being modified.

The Let's Encrypt dns-01 challenge also succeeded.

-- Sandro