9.18 behavior change for mDNS queries with dig

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Mon Jun 27 03:00:08 UTC 2022

I recently moved from 9.16 to 9.18 and just noticed that dig no longer resolves mDNS queries.

With 9.16:
dig +short @224.0.0.251 -p 5353 hostname.local
192.168.0.82

With 9.18:
dig +short @224.0.0.251 -p 5353 hostname.local

I can’t find anything in the Release Notes (or anyplace else) about this.

I get this on two different Macintoshes - one running MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) and the other on 12.4 (Monterey). On the Catalina Mac, I see the behavior with both source-built BIND as well as the port from MacPorts (just converted from source-building to MacPorts); on the Monterey Mac, I have not built from source so just the MacPorts port.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com