Using non-standard domain names in DNS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Jun 26 21:19:26 UTC 2022

The names of name servers need to follow the rules for hostnames. i.e. the labels are made up of letters, digits and hyphens (LDH). That means the name servers can’t live in the zone. There should be no A or AAAA records in the zone.

Similarly there can’t be MX records as they also are restricted to LDH.

Let’s Encrypt isn’t asking for exceptions to the rules. Your assumptions in your question are wrong. Check-names just stops people breaking the rules accidentally.  If you saw instructions to set ‘check-names no;’ please go back and correct the instructions to say to use a valid hostnames for the name servers.
--
Mark Andrews