Help: BIND _ Recursive query

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 3 19:49:27 UTC 2019

In article <mailman.285.1551620180.711.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 vivek <viveknangal at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks, that means for Bind service to work  we have to have the "recursion
> yes" else the forwarder will also not work.
>
> Actually I m bit confused between Recursive vs Iterative query mode , so
> does this mean Bind will only work in Recursive query mode & this makes the
> "Forwarder "  to do his required job.
>
> Help in understand so in what scenarios will use/configure Bind in Iterative
> query mode.

"recursion yes" means that it will *answer* queries that require
recursion, i.e. they ask for information in outside domains.

When the nameserver does all lthe outside lookup work by itself, by
working its way down from the root servers, that's called "iterative
mode".

When a client or nameserver asks another server to do all the work, it
does that by sending a recursive query. This is the normal way that host
resolver libraries work, and it's what BIND does when you configure
"forwarders".

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA