Help: BIND _ Recursive query

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Mar 11 09:11:04 UTC 2019

On 09.03.19 13:33, Paul Kosinski wrote:
>I gather "recursion yes" (explicit or default) controls whether BIND
>*does* recursion itself, in the sense of querying other DNS servers for
>data it doesn't have,

I believe that BIND does query other servers for data required for e.g.
issuing notify messages, even if the recursion is disabled.

> not whether it *issues* queries with the
>"recursion desired" flag set. (Somewhat confusing terminology, in my
>opinion.)

AFAIK "stub" or "static-stub" domains are queried without recursion desired
(RD) flag set, but only if recursion is allowed.  Thus, RD flag is not
related to recursion status.

>So is the "recursion desired" flag only set when there are forwarders?
>Presumably it is set in the case of "forward only", but what happens if
>there are forwarders defined and both "recursion yes" (default) and
>"forward first" (default) are specified?

if there are forwarders defined, they are queried with RD flag set.
It doesn't matter if they are set globally or per-domain,
not if there's "forward first" or "forward only" set.

in the "recursion no" case, forwarders are not queried, only for cases I
mentioned above (like resolving nameservers to send notifies to them).

One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them