In BIND 8.2 running on Solaris 8, how to start logging

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Fri Jun 27 17:19:56 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Samad Agha <samad.agha2007 at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, June 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>, DNS BIND
<bind-users at isc.org>
Subject: In BIND 8.2 running on Solaris 8, how to start logging

>Hi All,
>I have two Solaris 8 servers running BIND 8.2. I'd like to retire them
>both and transfer everything to a couple of RHEL 7 boxes. The City (I
>work for a mid-size California city) has outsourced different aspects of
>our DNS that I even lost track and have
> no idea what these two DNS servers serve. I'd like to start logging all
>queries on these two boxes to know who queries them. How do I start a
>comprehensive logging to capture all transactions going through these two
>servers?
>
>Please advise; please be thorough and don't assume anything. Many thanks
>in advance.

I see two options:

Enable query logging.  In your named.conf, do something like:

logging {
	channel my_querylog {
		file "/var/adm/query.log" versions 5 size 10m;
		print-time yes;
	};
	category queries { my_querylog; };
};

Adjust paths, number of copies (versions) to keep, etc.  Note that this
can fill quickly on busy servers.

Alternatively, use tcpdump to write a pcap of anything to 53/udp or 53/tcp
and analyze it after 1, 7, 30 or whatever days.  Again, if the server is
busy you will get a very large file.  You can limit the amount of time you
capture traffic, or rotate capture files with -C <size> e.g. tcpdump -i
eth0 -s0 -C 100 -w dnscap <filter> (you'll endup with dnscap1, dnscap2,
etc each 100MB in size).

Good luck, BIND 8.2 is ancient now so good to hear you are working to get
it updated.