In BIND 8.2 running on Solaris 8, how to start logging

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Fri Jun 27 21:01:39 UTC 2014

On 6/27/2014, Samad Agha <samad.agha2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have two Solaris 8 servers running BIND 8.2. I'd like to retire them both
> and transfer everything to a couple of RHEL 7 boxes. The City (I work for a
> mid-size California city) has outsourced different aspects of our DNS that
> I even lost track and have no idea what these two DNS servers serve. I'd
> like to start logging all queries on these two boxes to know who queries
> them. How do I start a comprehensive logging to capture all transactions
> going through these two servers?
>
> Please advise; please be thorough and don't assume anything. Many thanks in
> advance.
> Regards,
> Samad

I may be missing something here.  The servers are running BIND.
What zones do the servers serve?  They serve the zones listed in the
BIND configuration file(s), and they may be recursive servers
for your clients.  Look at the config files to see what zones
are mastered or slaved on the servers.

--Barry Finkel