architecture question

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu May 9 18:52:26 UTC 2013

> From: Jeremy P <jpcraigs at gmail.com>

> In my experience the students who "get it" and comprehend the
> concepts are able to heed the warnings of "in real life, we would do
> this a little different".  The students who don't "get it" are gonna
> misconfigure regardless of what TLD I tell them to use in the lab.
> They'll probably also assign addresses in the 2001:DB8::/32 range
> because they saw it in documentation.  My advice: hire the former
> and pass on the latter and everything will be ok ;-)

Many students are more clued in than some teachers give them credit for.
They will understand that what they see in class is not the same as
they'll see in the real world.  It's that other portion that will go on to
cause mayhem or get elected to public office.  It's easy to say "pass on
the later", but they will eventually get hired because they managed to
squeak through an A+ or Microsoft certification and someone scrapes the
bottom of the barrel because they're not willing to pay for talent.

Or maybe they'll just be the the offspring of a friend of the person in
the corner office.  I wish I could say I've never seen that happen!

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.