architecture question

Jeremy P jpcraigs at gmail.com
Thu May 9 18:27:37 UTC 2013

I certainly didn't intend to spark off such a firestorm with my original
question.  I have learned a lot from the debate though.

On the question of what to use with students, it is a fine thing to say "we
should only do things the way they are done in real life so students don't
learn bad habits", but I'm guessing that comes from people who have spent
very little time in a classroom that has fiscal and technical limitations.
If I followed that mantra I would never be able to do anything with
students other than read out of a book and lecture.  We strive to get them
as close to real life as financial and technical restraints allow.  Some
have recommended I get a sub domain on the school's domain.  Maybe at your
company/school that's easy to accomplish, but here that would be quite an
amount of effort to earn a rejection letter.  I'll probably just purchase
somedomain.com and handout sub domains, but I won't have resources to setup
a public facing server that can properly do delegation.

In my experience the students who "get it" and comprehend the concepts are
able to heed the warnings of "in real life, we would do this a little
different".  The students who don't "get it" are gonna misconfigure
regardless of what TLD I tell them to use in the lab.  They'll probably
also assign addresses in the 2001:DB8::/32 range because they saw it in
documentation.  My advice: hire the former and pass on the latter and
everything will be ok ;-)