Trying to do reverse lookups, but crashing named instead.

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jan 20 03:11:56 UTC 2012

In message <CAGAtKrJt4sML8xyUAcpWJmOAyZGgnH7hOycbHVDrpCwSreBOjA at mail.gmail.com>
, =?UTF-8?Q?Stack_Koror=C4=81?= writes:
> There are two other logging files mentioned in the conf files:
> /var/log/named-auth.info never has any information in it.
> /var/log/update-debug.log mostly complains about this:
> update: info: client 127.0.0.1#46599: updating zone 'project.local/IN':
> update unsuccessful: aa001.project.local: 'name not in use' prerequisite
> not satisfied (YXDOMAIN)

This is just UPDATE processing working as expected.  It is named
saying which prerequisite not being met that caused it to *not*
apply the requested change.

> I know the error says that it thinks the domain does not exist. I have read
> the FAQ and the rfc2136.txt, yet I still don't understand why it thinks
> that.

The update request said. "Only do this update if the name
(aa001.project.local) is not currently in use".  Named found that
the name *was* in use so it stopped processing the update request
and returned a error to the caller.  It also logged this.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org