Trying to do reverse lookups, but crashing named instead.

~Stack~ i.am.stack at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:29:37 UTC 2012

On 01/19/2012 09:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <CAGAtKrJt4sML8xyUAcpWJmOAyZGgnH7hOycbHVDrpCwSreBOjA at mail.gmail.com>
> , =?UTF-8?Q?Stack_Koror=C4=81?= writes:
>> There are two other logging files mentioned in the conf files:
>> /var/log/named-auth.info never has any information in it.
>> /var/log/update-debug.log mostly complains about this:
>> update: info: client 127.0.0.1#46599: updating zone 'project.local/IN':
>> update unsuccessful: aa001.project.local: 'name not in use' prerequisite
>> not satisfied (YXDOMAIN)
>
> This is just UPDATE processing working as expected.  It is named
> saying which prerequisite not being met that caused it to *not*
> apply the requested change.

I guess where I am confused is that I thought that the line
"update-conflict-detection false;" would override this check.

>> I know the error says that it thinks the domain does not exist. I have read
>> the FAQ and the rfc2136.txt, yet I still don't understand why it thinks
>> that.
>
> The update request said. "Only do this update if the name
> (aa001.project.local) is not currently in use".  Named found that
> the name *was* in use so it stopped processing the update request
> and returned a error to the caller.  It also logged this.

If my assumption that I am overriding the check works (which is probably
wrong), then why does it care? Why doesn't it just erase the old and put
in the new? That was what I was attempting to ask before but I am just
not entirely sure the best wording for it.

dhcpd knows the name and the IP address. I just want bind to reflect
that name/IP combination in the DNS system when I do lookups and reverse
lookups. What am I doing wrong that makes my reverse lookups fail?

Thank you for that information. I do appreciate your time and help.

~Stack~