Single machine VPS

Nico Aragón nico.aragon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:59:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm new to Bind. My previous registrar (or was it the hosting
provider?) was so kind to manage DNS for me. But now I'm required to
configure a DNS server in the very same VPS that hosts the HTTP and
mail server.

I've managed to set it running and (apparently) working after reading
some quick tutorials and a good deal of trial/error. A little issue
persists: I'd like the domain to be reached through HTTP as
"nicoaragon.com", but it only works as "www.nicoaragon.com". The
examples are all about configuration with several machines, so I did
my best to adapt them. But I'm stuck now and a little afraid to touch
and lose what already works.

I'm using bind9 in ubuntu 11.04 server. A forwarder is set in the
options file. The rest of the configuration is like this:

named.conf.local:

zone "nicoaragon.com" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/zones/nicoaragon.com.zone";
};

zone "24.105.46.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    notify no;
    file "/etc/bind/zones/rev.24.105.46.in-addr.arpa";
};

nicoaragon.com.zone:

$TTL 604800

nicoaragon.com. IN SOA www.nicoaragon.com. root.nicoaragon.com. (