RHEL5 BIND in PROD

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Mar 15 14:08:19 UTC 2011

If these are new servers that are only for BIND I'd suggest going with
RHEL6 rather than 5.6 - RHEL releases have very long life cycle.   When
I get a spare moment I intend to update our servers to RHEL6.

We use the RHEL5 BIND package for the reasons you give.  However, the
way RedHat does things is they go with a base release from upstream
(e.g. 9.3 is default for RHEL5.x) then backport security and bug fixes
from later base releases into that.   This causes confusion because
people will post here that they're using 9.3 which makes it look like
they aren't paying attention to later updates and all.  If you like the
latest greatest you could build your own but as I once said to the folks
at RedHat:  "If I have a dedicated server that only runs BIND and I have
to build my own why should I pay for a subscription based Linux?".

As you note they now have (as a "bug" request) a later version of the
base release available in RHEL 5.x but that isn't the one you'll get
updates for with yum.   I've suggested to RedHat that they do as they
did with Java where they made different base releases (e.g. Java 1.4.2,
Java 1.6.0) and provide updates for whichever (or both) you choose to
use.