RHEL5 BIND in PROD

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Mar 15 15:39:22 UTC 2011

So, how many servers are you talking about?

After having tried to use the distribution supplied packages (for multiple distributions) my opinion is that building from source is the right answer for BIND. The distributions lag more than I'm comfortable with, and BIND builds cleanly from source with mo muss, no fuss....

For a small number of devices (4 or 5ish) building from source on each box is not *too* hard. For anything more than that, you should be using some sort of system management / configuration thing -- personally I'm partial to Puppet. Trust me, the 2 or 3 days that you will burn getting it all setup and recipes written will more than pay for itself... Being able to bump the version number on a single node, confirm it works, then change the version on the default node and have all your boxes scurry off any upgrade themselves is wickedly fun....

Installing a new box used to be a multi day event, with much scampering around, package installing, kvetching abut the fact that emacs, bc, tcpdump, traceroute, etc are not installed by default, backup system configuration, kerberos key-diddling, ssh key poking, etc. Now it is:
PXE boot / kickstart a base image.
Enroll box in puppet: apt-get install puppet; puppet agent  --waitforcert 60 --test; <on server>sudo puppet cert --sign newbox.example.com
<have coffee, read XKCD for 20 minutes (I read slow!)>
Profit!