RHEL5 BIND in PROD

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Tue Mar 15 14:00:26 UTC 2011

For new deployments, I would likely choose RHEL6 over RHEL5; unless you
have a compelling reason to run RHEL5.  RHEL6 includes BIND 9.7.0.  You
mention that you would like to keep your DNS boxes "appliance" like.  If
this is the case, rolling out source code and compiling on each box may
not be the best solution for you.  If you decide to compile your own
BIND, I would look at rolling RPM's for them to make deployment and
upgrades easier.  Also, keep in mind that while RHEL BIND versions will
never be cutting-edge/brand-new, security patches are backported into
them.

Hope this helps.

Josh