Fwd: Re: .TLD minimum number of nameservers rule

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Dec 15 17:32:29 UTC 2011

To settle the question of "are 2 nameservers required by the RFCs?", I'm
surprised you guys missed this text in RFC 1034, Section 4.1:

    A given zone will be available from several name servers to insure
    its availability in spite of host or communication link failure. By
    administrative fiat, we require every zone to be available on at
    least two servers, and many zones have more redundancy than that.

This is an "administrative fiat", you can't get much clearer than that.

             - Kevin