Fwd: Re: .TLD minimum number of nameservers rule

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 19:17:07 UTC 2011

On Dec 15 2011, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>To settle the question of "are 2 nameservers required by the RFCs?", I'm
>surprised you guys missed this text in RFC 1034, Section 4.1:
>
>    A given zone will be available from several name servers to insure
>    its availability in spite of host or communication link failure. By
>    administrative fiat, we require every zone to be available on at
>    least two servers, and many zones have more redundancy than that.
>

>This is an "administrative fiat", you can't get much clearer than that.

Indeed, that's a better quote than my one from RFC 1035. How did I miss it?
Well, it turns out that the word "two" above occurs at the beginning of a
line in rfc1034.txt, and I was searching for the string " two" ...  :-(

[Too many false drops if you search for just the three-character string,
because of "network".]

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk