.TLD minimum number of nameservers rule

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Tue Dec 13 11:08:35 UTC 2011

Actually, there's a simpler solution to meeting the rule for 2 NS.

Use any of the secondary nameserver services.  The come in a range of
prices/service levels.  (Price and delivered service don't always
correlate.)  Generally they act as slaves off your master; some are bind
based and use IXFR; others poll.  Besides the required redundancy, they will
meet the requirement for geographic separation.  There is at least one free
service that supports DNSSEC (though that's rare.)

Googgle "secondary DNS" or "backup DNS" for a starting point.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.