dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Mon Jan 5 22:01:24 UTC 2009

At Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:47:10 -0500,
Vinny Abello <vinny at tellurian.com> wrote:

> I just loaded up the BIND 9.5.1 port on FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64 with
> threads. I don't see the prominent memory leak present on my system
> any longer. I lost track of this thread and think two different
> changes might have been made, however. One via the port and one in
> BIND itself, so I don't know which fix is actually in effect here,
> but the results seem good so far. Maybe Doug and Jinmei and comment
> on their respective changes just for the record.

The memory leak only happens when autoconf fails to detect the
availability of hardware-dependent atomic operations.

The patch for the FreeBSD port fixes the autoconf problem.  The patch
I mentioned fixes the memory leak itself.  The result is the same
either way; the leak will disappear.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.