delegation of subdomains

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Oct 12 22:48:53 UTC 2007

Well, you need the delegation on the inside version of the zone, unless
you want to configure *every* internal nameserver with explicit
knowledge of the zone (type slave or stub). If you add the delegations
for internal use, however, and they are private addresses, then you
should *not* also add them externally, because it's a bad practice, as
mentioned previously. Logically, then, you would need separate views, or
different versions of the parent zone running in different instances of
"named" on the same box, or on different boxes.

The typical "view" setup looks something like

view "internal" {
match-clients { <internal addresses and/or ranges>; };

zone "xxxx" { (internal version)
type master;
file "xxxxx";
};