delegation of subdomains

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Oct 12 07:12:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:20:28AM +0200,
 Markus Boehmer <boehmerm at gmx.net> wrote
 a message of 50 lines which said:

> The admin responsible for ns1.4smr.net now told me, that he can't
> delegate, because our internal nameserver can not be reached or
> reverse looked up.

Well, yes and no. He *can*, technically speaking, delegate (this would
create a lame delegation, something which is possible) but may be he
does not *want* and I agree with him on that point.

> Is this possible?

It is possible. It is not a good idea because it will make outside
users wait for a timeout, should they try to resolve internal names.

The best choice, IMHO, would be to set up a separate view for the
internal users.