Reverse dns des not reach my IP

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 11:14:09 UTC 2007

No, unfortunately not - it's the remote mail servers' configuration
that's strict - AOL in particular do this.
It's happening because, during a mail exchange "hand-shake":

1. Your mail server tells the remote mail server that it's
server1.mydomain.com
2. The remote mail server does a forward-lookup of server1.mydomain.com
- and gets IP address 123.123.123.1
3. The remote mail server then does a reverse-lookup of
1.123.123.123.in-addr.arpa and expects to get server1.mydomain.com, but
instead gets server-123-123-123-1.isp.com
4. Depending on the configuration of the remote mail server, it either
accepts this mail with a warning (as most do) or reject it completely
(like this rare one you're getting)

It's a check mainly for the correctness of DNS setups, but also some
spammers who use fake hostnames cannot set reverse DNS, so it can filter
out a few spammers, but most of these are on dial-up/dynamic ADSL, and
because ISPs own the IP addresses, they set their reverse DNSs
correctly.  Also in some cases the difference between DNS/rDNS can be
legitimate, so it's really down to the requirements of the accepting
mail server.

Personally on my mail servers I apply a header to the e-mail, warning of
the difference, which is then used as part of a bigger calculation to
see the probability of it being spam.  I certainly wouldn't reject
e-mail based on this alone.

All you can do is pester your ISP to change your reverse DNS.  Once
they've changed it, the usual rules of allowing 24-48 hours for
propogation apply too.

Andy.