named.conf file in xml

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 17 00:49:12 UTC 2006

Tom Jones wrote:

>Look, I'm no fan of Microsoft, and I understand the "easy human"
>readable config files. My point about MS is that they are embracing
>standards like XML to make it easier to write tools and GUI's for
>their applications. This is seen as great asset, so no matter what or
>how , all you have to do is generate the xml file based on the schema.

Well, regardless of what Microsoft or their supporters may think, BIND
is not "their application". The content and meaning of a BIND
configuration is defined by ISC, and presumably ISC sees no value
proposition is making those configurations accessible to XML-based tools
and/or GUIs, or, if there is value, not enough for them to expend time
and effort to implement an XML rendering of BIND's configuration data.
If one were to speculate on why there is little or no perceived value,
one might note that the vast majority of BIND installations are on
Unix/Linux/BSD servers, and the vast majority of software that reads
and/or writes those configs has been written by Unix system programmers,
not app programmers or Windows programmers. For better or worse, XML
hasn't exactly seen much penetration in the Unix system programming
environment. So it's quite likely that the audience of "programmers who
would prefer to manipulate/maintain BIND configs via XML" is vanishingly
small.

>All I know is that, the more I've started to use XML the easier it
>gets for writing webservices to which can control a lot of my apps
>and their xml config files. This also allows me to not to need to
>learn yet another config syntax since there is no real standard for
>config files.

But, to do a competent job, one still needs to learn the *meaning* and
*substance* of those configuration parameters, and XML really doesn't
help you with that. The syntax is almost irrelevant, compared to the
steep learning curve of learning the nuances of the DNS protocol itself,
including all of its extensions, and ISC's reference implementation of a
nameserver/resolver that speaks that protocol, with its extensions.

- Kevin