Trouble with External Lookups

krmdv at netscape.net krmdv at netscape.net
Thu Jun 8 05:08:15 UTC 2006

I can do everything with my IP address except get a reverse lookup off
of it. I can nslookup connect to the IP address and it responds.  I
found an article on the next that had the same error described with my
ISP (SBC/ATT).  I called SBC and they are putting the reverse
delegation in for my IP Block.  The change should take 24 to 72 hours
so I should hopefully be good to go.  If you can think of anything else
I can try, please let me know.  I havent touched DNS in a couple years
so things are slowly coming back.

When I perform nslookup on my ip address outside my network I get Can't
find IP addy Non Existent Domain.  If I do an nslookup 71.134.143.217
from inside my domain I get:

** server can't find 217.143.134.71.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

I can run nslookup then connect to the IP address so there doesnt
appear to be any firewalling issues.

All of this investigation lead me to the ISP not delegating reverse DNS
on my IP Block.  Let me know if you any thoughts on this being
something else.

Thanks again!

DK