Trouble with External Lookups

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 9 03:49:23 UTC 2006

In article <e68bpp$1s5a$1 at sf1.isc.org>, krmdv at netscape.net wrote:

> I can do everything with my IP address except get a reverse lookup off
> of it. I can nslookup connect to the IP address and it responds.  I

Hey, remember when I said to use "dig", not "nslookup"?

> found an article on the next that had the same error described with my
> ISP (SBC/ATT).  I called SBC and they are putting the reverse
> delegation in for my IP Block.  The change should take 24 to 72 hours
> so I should hopefully be good to go.  If you can think of anything else
> I can try, please let me know.  I havent touched DNS in a couple years
> so things are slowly coming back.
>
> When I perform nslookup on my ip address outside my network I get Can't
> find IP addy Non Existent Domain.  If I do an nslookup 71.134.143.217
> from inside my domain I get:
>
> ** server can't find 217.143.134.71.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN
>
> I can run nslookup then connect to the IP address so there doesnt
> appear to be any firewalling issues.
>
> All of this investigation lead me to the ISP not delegating reverse DNS
> on my IP Block.  Let me know if you any thoughts on this being
> something else.

If it works locally but not remotely, then it's probably a delegation
problem.  If it doesn't work locally, either, then it may be a problem
with your configuration as well.

I'm having a hard time parsing your message to understand which of these
it is.  I don't know what "I can do everything with my IP address except
get a reverse lookup off of it."  What else are we discussing other than
reverse lookups, so what is "everything"?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA