Trouble with External Lookups

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 8 02:22:01 UTC 2006

In article <e67rnf$2aa2$1 at sf1.isc.org>, krmdv at netscape.net wrote:

> Thanks Barry for the heads up on the email etiquette its been a while
> since I have last posted to mail lists. I will provide the proper
> information next time. Anyway, I actually solved the problem earlier.
> It turned out to be a Reverse DNS Delegation problem with my ISP. They
> will be forwarding my IP Block onto my name servers and that should
> take care of the reverse lookup problem Im getting on my external IPs.

Yeah, I almost put that guess in my response.  But I figured I would
wait for your response, to see whether you were querying your server
directly or not.  If you were querying your own server and getting an
error, it wouldn't be a delegation issue (unless you're using RFC
2317-style delegation).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA