Different Serial in Bind 8 and 9

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Mar 21 18:38:49 UTC 2005

> From: "MJ" <php at cyberia.net.sa>
> To: <bind-users at isc.org>
> Subject: Different Serial in Bind 8 and 9
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:00:30 +0300
>
> Hi,
> My primary name server is Bind 8.2. I installed a new machine as
> secondary name server with bind 9.3.1. One thing I have noticed that
> this new secondary DNS have downloaded all the zone files but the serial
> is different than what it is in the primary. For example on primary
> server one zone file has serial "20030322166" but on the secondary
> server same zone file has "2850452982" and also it is not getting the
> updates from the master server, whenever there is an increment in the
> serial of master, it does effect the secondary.

MJ:

Your serial number "over-flowed" - as in the number is too large.  The
serial number computations are performed using 32 bit arithmetic.

Your serial has 11 digits.  I would limit the serial to YYYYMMDDXX (10
digits).  This gives you up to 100 updates per day (00-99).

There are multiple discussions in the list archives on how to recover
from this.  (In other words, I don't know how to do so right off the
top of my head.)

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> MJ

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin