not typing in www

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Jun 24 16:50:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:40:34PM -0400, Vinny Abello wrote:
> Do not use a CNAME for the record type as I've seen it cause some
> weird issues for the domain in general when people do this.

A little more than this: it's explicitly forbidden, and only succeeds
because some name servers [including earlier versions of BIND] were
sloppy about accepting contradictory directives.

If you put in a CNAME record for your zone, you are saying that you are
NOT authoritative for this zone, that you have NO information for this
zone, go see the canonical name (the right-hand name) for all of the
information you want.  Obviously NOT something you want to say about the
name of a zone that you are serving.  ;-)  Especially if the canonical
name is within that zone!  Can you say information black hole?

--
Joe Yao