not typing in www

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Jun 24 16:40:34 UTC 2005

At 09:51 AM 6/23/2005, scedarst wrote:
>Could anyone tell me what entry i need to put in my dns so my users
>dont have to type www?  They want to type http://site.com instead of
>http://www.site.com

There are many ways you can do this:

site.com.               IN      A       192.168.1.100

or

@                       IN      A       192.168.1.100

or

                         IN      A       192.168.1.100

That last one will only carry down the previous record so be sure you
put it at the beginning of your zone so it carries down site.com from
the SOA record defined in the beginning. The first two you can put
anywhere in the zone file.

Do not use a CNAME for the record type as I've seen it cause some
weird issues for the domain in general when people do this.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain