not typing in www

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Jun 24 16:57:38 UTC 2005

At 12:50 PM 6/24/2005, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:40:34PM -0400, Vinny Abello wrote:
> > Do not use a CNAME for the record type as I've seen it cause some
> > weird issues for the domain in general when people do this.
>
>A little more than this: it's explicitly forbidden, and only succeeds
>because some name servers [including earlier versions of BIND] were
>sloppy about accepting contradictory directives.
>
>If you put in a CNAME record for your zone, you are saying that you are
>NOT authoritative for this zone, that you have NO information for this
>zone, go see the canonical name (the right-hand name) for all of the
>information you want.  Obviously NOT something you want to say about the
>name of a zone that you are serving.  ;-)  Especially if the canonical
>name is within that zone!  Can you say information black hole?

<G> I thought it was forbidden, but I couldn't remember specifically
or had any references to do so offhand. I just know never to do it. :)

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain