Bind9 - connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Jul 16 10:25:52 UTC 2005

> Mark Andrews wrote:
>  >
>  > 	Supply a root (".") zone.
>
> Hello,
>
> that doesn't help. I'e read, that if no root.hint is supplied, i's taken
> the compiledin root.hint.

	No, if no root zone (hints/master/slave) is supplied it uses the
	compiled in hints.

	You could supply a empty root hints and named will return SERVFAIL.
	(No records at all)

	You could supply a (empty) root zone and named will return NXDOMAIN.
	(SOA and NS for . only)

> But anyway, I've got it.. I installt bind9 under Debian Sarge. there is
> a better commented named.conf. They nearly solve the proble in my way.
> They include a file, which breference to the private subnets (rfc1918).
>
> eg: include "/etc/bind/zones.rfc1918";
>
> In zones.rfc1918 are all private nets, they reference to an empty zonefile.
>
> eg: zone "10.in-addr.arpa"  { type master; file "/etc/bind/db.empty"; };
>
> One question, is tha the correct way or just a workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> Tanja

	As I said.  Supply a root zone.

	zone "." { type master; file "/etc/bind/db.empty"; };

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org