Bind9 - connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Tanja Nathali Winkelmann tanawi at web.de
Sat Jul 16 12:44:50 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> schrieb am 16.07.05 12:26:19:
> > Hello,
> >
> > that doesn't help. I'e read, that if no root.hint is supplied, i's taken
> > the compiledin root.hint.
>
> 	No, if no root zone (hints/master/slave) is supplied it uses the
> 	compiled in hints.

Ok, that's what I meant, but I din't consider if it is empty or not.

> 	You could supply a empty root hints and named will return SERVFAIL.
> 	(No records at all)
>
> 	You could supply a (empty) root zone and named will return NXDOMAIN.
> 	(SOA and NS for . only)

> 	As I said.  Supply a root zone.
>
> 	zone "." { type master; file "/etc/bind/db.empty"; };
>
> 	Mark

Ok, I try to supply an empty hint, to supply the original root.hint didn't work - otherwise I did something wrong..
Because of that didn't work, therefor I thought it doesn't belong to the root.hint. But on monday I can test again in testlab, then I will see..

Thanks,
Tanja