same box / same IP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 15 23:00:44 UTC 2005

Bill.Light at kp.org wrote:

>I don't know if this is more appropriate for apache list or here at
>bind...
>I have a domain for my daughters,  example.com
>
>can I use bind to distinguish between the two - where they are both the
>same box/ip ?
>
>i.e.
>
>66.12  IN  PTR  example.com.
>66.12  IN  PTR  daughter1.example.com.
>66.12  IN  PTR  daughter2.example.com.
>
>Or do I just do all of this with in apache ?

You can't do virtual hosting with reverse records, so to eliminate
redundancy, just pick one of those names and point the PTR back to it.

For the virtual hosting itself, configure your *forward* (A) records to
point the same IP address, and configure Apache to distinguish between
the virtual hosts. As an alternative to multiple A records, you could
make some or all of those names just aliases (CNAME records) to a "main"
name, which would own an A record.

                                                         - Kevin