same box / same IP

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Aug 16 08:09:13 UTC 2005

Bill.Light at kp.org wrote:
> I don't know if this is more appropriate for apache list or here at
> bind...
> I have a domain for my daughters,  example.com
>
> can I use bind to distinguish between the two - where they are both the
> same box/ip ?
>
> i.e.
>
> 66.12  IN  PTR  example.com.
> 66.12  IN  PTR  daughter1.example.com.
> 66.12  IN  PTR  daughter2.example.com.
>
> Or do I just do all of this with in apache ?

Bind does the forward resolution of example.com. daughter1.example.com.
and daughter2.example.com. to your ip.

Apache does the virtual hosting from your ip using one incarnation
for example.com. using a different one for daughter1.example.com. and
a third one for daughter2.example.com.

The reverse resolution from your ip will resolve only for example.com.

Using /etc/hosts you could have

192.0.12.66   example.com  daughter1.example.com  daughter2.example.com.

Then gethostbyname would return example.com and the aliases
daughter1.example.com  daughter2.example.com.

Sorry bind was never designed that intelligent. That piece of
information got lost with DNS.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--