Network and subnet names

Guido Roeskens groeskens at bluewin.ch
Wed Aug 10 18:40:20 UTC 2005

Auer Karl James wrote:
> Just out of interest, what do people do with their network and subnet
> names?
>
> I'm putting the names of networks and subnets in an A-Record in the
> appropriate forward zone with the network/subnet mask as the "address",
> and putting a PTR record in the appropriate reverse zone that points to
> the name. This seem to me to be delivering the most important aspects of
> a network/subnet.
>
> It's been suggested that I should have PTR records in the appropriate
> forward zones too, with network/subnet names pointing to their
> in-addr.arpa names.
>
> Comments? Is there a "best practice" here?
There is a not widely used procedure to do it.
It's described in "the Book", O'Reilly "DNS and Bind".

I think it's in the Appendices or one of the last chapters
where things are descibed which don't fit anywhere else.
(I don't have the book ready)

At the moment we don't "describe" network and broadcast addresses
in our DNS. We are an retail access ISP whith lot of pool networks
for access customers which change quite often.

People (customers) are more interested about a path their traffic
follows (traceroute), so I have a script which parses the router
and switch config files and generates the DNS entries for
the interfaces.

Regards,

Guido Roeskens