Hyper threading, Linux and Bind

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Tue Apr 19 20:58:34 UTC 2005

> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: peace bwitchu <peacebwitchu at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Hyper threading, Linux and Bind
> To: bind-users at isc.org
>
> I am putting in a new server with dual Xeon w/
> hyperthreading cpu's w/ Linux as the OS.  When I start
> bind it only recognizes 1 cpu.  So now I start bind
> and I tell it how many cpu's but with hyperthreading
> it looks like 4 cpu's. Should I specify 2 or 4 cpu's
> when starting Bind?  I'm guessing 4 or should I turn
> off Hyper-threading all together.

There is some evidence (look in bind archives) that using
hyperthreading slows bind down...  I personally have not tried this so
cannot speak authoritatively...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin