Bind chrooted not save logs in /var/adm/messages

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Wed Sep 8 08:45:35 UTC 2004

> Hi,
>    sorry for the question. My english is very bad.
> I have a named chrooted and works well, except that  it's not possible
> to see messages of process named in /var/adm/messages. How I can to
> resolve this problem?

When you run bind chrooted, the path in named.conf must be relative to the
change-root. For example:
Your new root is: /usr/local
Then in the file: /usr/local/etc/named.conf
has to be a line for your logging which point to the logging file like
/var/log/named.log
But for a User this file is at /usr/local/var/log/named.log
(And have a look at the right settings of the rights)

For the startup-messages only you can look in /var/adm/messages. If there is
nothing, you should in your syslog-configuration in /etc/syslog.conf

Tom.

--
Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl