resolving a second zone!

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 17 19:02:06 UTC 2004

In article <c3a4n1$1c8p$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "aperry" <aperry at terayon.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an internal dns server that provides lookups for my domain, so lets
> say "alan.com", now we are adding another zone for active directory, lets
> say "ads.alan.com". The dns server for "alan.com" will only serv dns for
> that domain, for lookups in "ads.alan.com" I want to tell my dns to go to a
> name server on the "ads.alan.com" domain. I am not sure how to set this up.
> In my named.conf file, what type of server would i be to that domain? I am

You don't need to be any kind of server for that domain.  Just put
delegation and glue records in the alan.com zone, e.g.

ads IN NS ns1.ads
    IN NS ns2.ads
ns1.ads IN A 192.168.1.10
ns2.ads IN A 192.168.1.11

> guessing that i will just need to set up a a db file with the SOA being in
> the ads.alan.com domain, but would like to clarify that. Also if i need to
> do a password lookup on a pdc in the ads.alan.com network for samba
> purposes, how would i set up my resolver to do this? would the rosolver on
> my unix boxes look like this:
>
> domain alan.com
> search alan.com, ads.alan.com
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

I doubt that password lookup makes any use of the DNS resolver.  But I
don't know anything about Windows or Samba -- you should ask in groups
appropriate to that technology, it has nothing to do with BIND.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA